What do I need to do if I get married or divorced and my name changes?


To process a name change, please login to the NCBDN Gateway.

You will need to have the following available to upload:

  1. A digital copy of your marriage certificate (or court judgment for name change). Alternately, you may also submit a digital copy of your current Driver’s License or Passport.

Please note, the NCBDN has moved to an entirely electronic process, thus you will have the ability to print your updated card or certificate online, from the NCBDN licensee Gateway, once you receive a confirmation email indicating that your name change request has been processed and approved.

NOTE: The NCBDN database is not “linked” with the Commission on Dietetic’s database, the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists’ database, or the American Clinical Board of Nutrition’s database. Thus, you must change your name with each entity separately.

Please contact the Board office if you have any questions regarding this process, 919-388-1931 or info@ncbdn.org.

Frequently Asked Questions What nutrition care services can unlicensed assistive personnel provide What can I do with certifications or online programs What areas of nutrition and dietetics require licensure Who can become licensed as a dietitian or nutritionist Who can become licensed as a nutritionist What titles are restricted by the law? How does licensure impact my Registered Dietitian (R.D.) title? What are the penalties for violations of the law? What other states require a license to practice dietetics/nutrition? How often am I required to renew my license? What can happen if I forget to renew my license? Do I need to renew my license if I am currently unemployed? What should I do if I suspect my licensure card was copied, stolen, or is being used fraudulently? What documentation of continuing education is required to maintain a license? Who is eligible for a provisional license? What are the requirements for supervision of persons claiming exemption from licensure? Who is exempt from licensure and regulation by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition? What can an unlicensed person, who is not otherwise exempt, do in the field of dietetics/nutrition? Is it within the scope of practice for NC LDNs to write diet orders? Do I contact the NCBDN for issues with food service in a prison? Is my license valid for one year from when I first apply and get licensed? What do I need to do if I get married or divorced and my name changes? How do I reactivate or reinstate my license? What are the considerations when providing nutrition care services via Telehealth?