Who is eligible for a provisional license?


A provisional license may be granted to a person who has completed the education and pre-professional requirements as specified in the law and who presents evidence to the Board of intent to take an examination approved by the board.

For students pursuing their Registered Dietitian credential, you must provide a copy of transcripts, a verification statement from your academic program, a verification statement from your supervised practice program, and your Eligibility Email from the Commission on Dietetic Registration, indicating you are approved to take the R.D. exam. Provisional licensees will also be required to work under the supervision of an NC licensed dietitian/nutritionist or licensed nutritionist and must provide a completed Form B2 upon application.

For students pursuing their Certified Nutrition Specialist credential or the Diplomate, American Clinical Board of Nutrition credential, such applicants must submit official transcripts, the PLN application (Category G), Form A-3 and tracking log such as A-7, Form(s) A-4, Form(s) A-5, & A-6, along with documentation demonstrating that one has made application to take either the CNS examination given by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists or the DACBN exam given by the American Clinical Board of Nutrition.

The cost of a provisional license is $133 ($60 Application fee + $35 Issuance fee + $38 criminal background check fee). Provisional licenses are valid for one year from date of issuance. If you pass the required exam within 12 months from the issuance date of your provisional license, you only pay the balance of the total issuance fee to upgrade to a full license, which is $115. Note, all new applicants are also subject to a criminal background check.

Please click here to access the Provisional (Category B or Category G) license application.


Frequently Asked Questions What nutrition care services can unlicensed assistive personnel provide What can I do with certifications or online programs What areas of nutrition and dietetics require licensure Who can become licensed as a dietitian or nutritionist Who can become licensed as a nutritionist What titles are restricted by the law? How does licensure impact my Registered Dietitian (R.D.) title? What are the penalties for violations of the law? What other states require a license to practice dietetics/nutrition? How often am I required to renew my license? What can happen if I forget to renew my license? Do I need to renew my license if I am currently unemployed? What should I do if I suspect my licensure card was copied, stolen, or is being used fraudulently? What documentation of continuing education is required to maintain a license? Who is eligible for a provisional license? What are the requirements for supervision of persons claiming exemption from licensure? Who is exempt from licensure and regulation by the North Carolina Board of Dietetics/Nutrition? What can an unlicensed person, who is not otherwise exempt, do in the field of dietetics/nutrition? Is it within the scope of practice for NC LDNs to write diet orders? Do I contact the NCBDN for issues with food service in a prison? Is my license valid for one year from when I first apply and get licensed? What do I need to do if I get married or divorced and my name changes? How do I reactivate or reinstate my license? What are the considerations when providing nutrition care services via Telehealth?